Monday, October 31, 2011

DIY Vegan Zines & More in Berlin


I have just come back from a short trip to Berlin, Germany. I found that Berlin is something like vegan heaven, with so many vegan (or at least vegan friendly) restaurants, groceries, clothes/shoe shops and even a vegan supermarket.

Within the thriving DIY metal/punk scene in Berlin, the vegan movement is strong as fuck. I visited a couple of squats (Scharni 38 and Koepi) and the food options were aplenty and strictly vegan. At Scharni 38 me and the band were met with vegan goulash, curry soup and salad. At Koepi, there was vegan pizza made on the spot and awesome vegan cupcakes (one could say, cupXcakes).

But it's not all about filling your stomach and staying happy with that. On the night I spent in Koepi, they showed the movie Bold Native in the main room and they also had a huge table covered with vegan/animal rights publications.

It is awesome to visit a squat and be able to get information that is so hard to come by in other places of the world. Below are some zines I got from the zine table at Koepi, I recommend to all of you to search and find them:

  • ITCHY FEET - VEGAN ETHICS AND WOLRD TRAVEL
  • RESPECTING ANIMALS ... MEANS GOING VEGAN
  • GOING UNDERGROUND ... FOR ANIMAL LIBERATION
  • URBAN GUIDE TO LIVING MORE SUSTAINABLY
  • THE ANIMAL LIBERATION PRIMER

All these publications are crucial. I urge you to get them if you are into veganism and/or animal rights. The best thing about these publications, moreover, is that they are printed and reprinted with no copyright laws and any caring individual can photocopy and give them to more and more people. The copies I got may come from 10 or more reprints (I can tell from the slightly blurred fonts), which is so awesome!!!! Makes me think of a lineage of compassionate vegan activists out there...

Educate, reinstate, escalate!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment